Monday, December 13, 2010

Last Blog

I'm going to post a final blog because.....well because I can. I'm assuming Dr. Sexson might still be going through the blogs and maybe I'll time mine with when he gets around to mine. This is unlikely, but I think there may be a few stragglers reading the blogs the night before the final in case they missed something. Here's a Golden Bough Christmas quote to get your holiday blood flowing:
First, in regard to the dates of the festivals it can be no mere accident that two of the most important and widely spread of the festivals are timed to coincide more or less exactly with the summer and winter solstices, that is, with the two turning-points in the sun’s apparent course in the sky when he reaches respectively his highest and his lowest elevation at noon. Indeed with respect to the midwinter celebration of Christmas we are not left to conjecture; we know from the express testimony of the ancients that it was instituted by the church to supersede an old heathen festival of the birth of the sun, which was apparently conceived to be born again on the shortest day of the year, after which his light and heat were seen to grow till they attained their full maturity at midsummer. Therefore it is no very far-fetched conjecture to suppose that the Yule log, which figures so prominently in the popular celebration of Christmas, was originally designed to help the labouring sun of midwinter to rekindle his seemingly expiring light.
I think we could all use a yule log of sorts during this finals week. It'd be nice if we had a fireplace in class, but I guess you can't always get what you want.

Whenever I think of people quoting the Bible, I think of texts being so universal that they appeal to nearly everyone. I never connected mythology as equally powerful literature to guide people's lives. This class, as did my last Sexson class, improved my writing skills and cemented my desire to study more in literature. Thanks to all of you for being wonderful piers and thank you Dr. Sexson for going above and beyond the duty of a professor.

No comments:

Post a Comment