Thursday, December 2, 2010

I exited the Suburban through the windshield

The following story is true and took place on November 19th, the night before the Cat-Griz game a few weeks ago. I will put this story into the category of the sublime.

I exited the car out the windshield. Exit as in walk out, luckily I and no one else were actually ejected. The suburban was lying on its side, so using any of the doors was out of the question. The roads were icy, but they had gotten better through the drive. I was asleep when it happened. Instead of falling asleep to a nightmare I awoke to a real-life one.

The paramedic asked me for my name and address. I didn't answer. He asked me again and I finally snapped out of my trance. I had otherquestions that I was asking myself, "how close was I to death? How am I so incredibly lucky?" the paramedic finished bandaging my hand. It was super bright inside the ambulance, but it was so warm at the same time. I didn't want to go back outside. It was cold. My running shoes suddenly acted as sponges in the smallest amounts of snow. Either way I was still in shock.

If you've ever seen a passenger's perspective from a car-rollover in a movie they almost always happen in slow-motion. That's exactly how it felt. The driver slammed on the brakes, fishtailed, and then it was as if God slowed down time as the vehicle began to roll. The car came to a violent jolt on its side and time sped up again.

We shouldn't have even been driving that night. We passed six rolled vehicles in the median between Belgrade and Butte alone. I thought to myself, "there's a good chance we could end up like that." And then even further back in my mind I told myself that it wouldn't happen to us. That's when I fell asleep. Or as Dr. Sexson would put it, I was already asleep and kept on sleeping. Will I ever awake?

There's these small particles in my hair..is that dandruff or glass? Fuck, I think it's glass. I spent the next hour picking out the tiniest specks of glass from the roots of my hair. I eventually fell asleep that night. I was still in shock from how incredibly luck I really was.

All 7 passengers were unharmed. Maybe because I'm still in shock, but I have no idea how to learn from this incident. This story feels very disjointed towards my overall mythology. I was aware of my near-death experience, but I'm still not really scared of death. I must still be dreaming. Or sleeping. Or...



No comments:

Post a Comment