Sunday, January 24, 2010

Wolf Whistles and 3oh!3

In class we discussed wolf whistles and their origin in the story of Little Red Riding Hood. I immediately thought of the recent hit pop song by Katy Perry and 3oh!3, Starstrukk. A wolf whistle can be heard multiple time throughout the song and I feel like many others in class thought of the song during the wolf whistle conversation. The lyrics I felt most relevant to the class are:

Tight jeans, Double D's makin' me go [whistles]
All the people on the street know [whistles whistles]
Iced-out, lit-up make the kids go [whistles]
All the people on the street know [whistle whistle]

CHORUS:
Cause I just set them up, just set them up, just set them up to knock them down
Cause I just set them up, just set them up, just set them up to knock them down


I think I should know how to make love to something innocent without leaving my fingerprints out now

L-O-V-E's just another word i never learned to pronounce

how, do I say I'm sorry cause the word is never gonna come out now
L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce


The song itself is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, only in a sexed up and modern version.The first verse is sung by a male member of 3Oh!3 while the chorus is sung by Katy Perry. Just like many of the monsters we've been reading about, the male singer feels entitled to whistle and harass whomever he pleases. Katy Perry, however, realizes she draws these sleezeball characters to her, but sees it as a problem that all women face at some point in their lives and she chooses to "knock them down."

On another note, this song touches on the quote "How do we know what we
think until we see what we say?" in the lines "L-O-V-E's just another word i never learned to pronounce" and "how, do I say I'm sorry cause the word is never gonna come out now." Perry is simply noting how actions speak louder than thoughts or concepts in one's mind. She is not in love nor is she sorry until she actually tells someone, just like we are not contributing our reactions and thoughts to class discussions until we speak up in class or blog about it online.

No comments:

Post a Comment